Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Music is the Scripture


I don't care what your opinion is of Kanye West right now. He may be egotistical, he may think Bush hates black people, he may say he is the new Elvis. But all of those things are exactly his point. He says what he wants when he wants because he has an opinion and isn't afraid to have it heard. What I like to see is an artist get heated up, and be passionate about something. I like to see someone stop trying to fit a mold and focus solely on success rather than musical progress. And I think that is something Kanye West embodies.

Some of the things in this video may be a bit extreme, but he does it to make a point, and while many may shut down and refuse to hear it, I heard it loud and clear. One thing in particular struck me, which was when he commented on how writers these days feel a need to HAVE to find the negative. "They can never just sit back and say, 'damn that was good'" It's a very true statement that shouldn't be overlooked. Music is entertainment, and while it is fine to put in your two cents, many critics take it to a point where they ONLY look for the bad. I'd like to be one to break the cycle, but maybe I'm not so different from the writers that West is commenting on, but if thats the case I hope to be more aware of it in the future.

In my opinion, just as he has self proclaimed, I DO think West is the Elvis, the Morrison, the Cobain of our generation. Just because he's living doesn't mean he isn't the stuff of legend. Yes. I called Kanye West legendary. Because when I hear his music, I sit back and just say "damn that was good". So deal with it.

2 comments:

joey said...

hurl city. kanye is makes good music an all, but i dont want people to look back 20 years from now and have him and all his bullshit be the image of our generation

Murr Nation said...

I would agree, but I'm not sure there's a better face for the music of this decade unfortunately. And don't say Weezy cuz then I really will hurl haha.