Monday, April 27, 2009

The Wizard of Ooh's and Ah's

Every now and then you go to a concert that completely blows away your expectations. Jason Mraz did just that to me tonight at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, KY.

I have always been a fan and of course I was looking forward to the concert, but I never expected an artist with such flashy vocals melodies and intricate lyrics to deliver in a live performance. He didn't meet his CD standards live; he exceeded them.

The quality of his voice was astounding. He remembered every lyric and didn't shy away from the more complicated tunes. 

The most impressive thing was the way he kept the crowd involved. He injected some Bob Marley, Oasis, marijuana and sex into the show. Comedy was pervasive. The most popular moment came when he broke into opera in the middle of "Mr. Curiosity" It was perfect. He made the crowd dance, and even the most detached audience members couldn't help but dance and sing along. Perhaps it was because Mraz targeted them out. "Yeah I know there are some of you out there all 'I just drove them, I'm not here to have fun.' Don't ever let your mind get in the way of you having a good time" It was perfect. Everyone clapped and laughed, including those members of the audience he was referring to. No one was embarassed to sing loud, because no one could hold a candle to the vocals pouring out of the PA anyway, but that isn't what it was about. Mraz made it feel that he genuinely wanted the audience to forget about their troubles for that hour and a half, and if that really was his goal, he succeeded with me at the very least.

To read my full review of the Kentucky Kernel click here

1 comment:

joey said...

I don't know if I ever told you specificially, but for everyone else who I ever HAVE said Mr. A to Z is amazing to, I told you so.

Seriously though, I have been a big fan of him since I heard his live CD Tonight, Not Again. Dude is pretty baller