Monday, May 18, 2009

Green Day sets the bar even higher



I won't lie to you. Following the success of American Idiot, I was positive Green Day wouldn't be able to live up to the hype. I couldn't have been more wrong.
21st Century Breakdown has the most musically mature sound I have heard from a Green Day album to date. Every song no longer calls on 4 chord distorted guitar progressions, yet they are not obsolete. Instead they are buried behind well crafted piano and acoustic parts that add refreshing depth to the album.
As always, lyrically Green Day excells. The album has a rock opera kind of feel very similar to American Idiot, but the topics vary a bit more across this album which is a nice change of pace as well.
American Idiot was so well received because of the time in which it was released, but 21st Century Breakdown promises to have a bit more of a timeless quality due to itstranscendent lyrics.

I read that American Idiot was just a warm up for 21st Century Breakdown, and after listening, I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: