Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars

The Oscars is one of my favorite awards shows, second only to the Grammy's. It is my chance to see what great movies I have missed over the course of the year. Next year I'd kind of like to make it my goal to see all of the films in the major categories before the show, that way I can yell at the TV and actually be informed. 

Of the best picture nominees the only two that I had seen were Frost/Nixon and Benjamin Button. In my opinion, Benjamin Button didn't even deserve to be in the conversation. I was extremely unimpressed. The coolest thing about it to me was the concept, and that was Fitzgerald's.
Frost/Nixon on the other hand was outstanding, and perhaps its parallels to our previous president are what made it so relevant today. Regardless the film was very well made, save a few minor arguments I stated in past blogs.

Anyway, I found a way to get a hold of the three nominees I have not yet seen, and I was just looking for some opinions on them.


Slumdog Millionare(All I have heard are good things, and it won Best Picture, so I can take a hint)

The Reader

Milk


Other films I was wondering about:
Revolutionary Road
Doubt



1 comment:

Lee said...

This year it was my goal to see all of the Best Picture nominees...and it was the first Oscar ceremony I actually cared about. The only movies I didn't get to but wanted to were Frost/Nixon and The Wrestler.

I agree with you on Benjamin Button. ZzZzzZz

Milk was excellent and Sean Penn was definitely Best Actor worthy. The Reader was interesting...but it's just not my kind of taste.

And, as far as Slumdog, GO SEE IT NOW!