Sunday, November 9, 2008

The 3rd Time's the Charm (Does that still apply if the first two times were charms also?)

Varying beautiful movements containing accelerando's and glissando's artfully changing tempos in complete stealth.

All things you can hear in works of classical composition by composers such as Motzart and Beethoven.

You can also hear these brilliances in composition from Metallica.

For 25 years only one band has constantly pushed the envelope in all senses of their musical existence. They refuse to remain unchanged while refusing to change at the same time. They don't want to be defined by their fans but rather want their fans to come along for the ride along with them.

Okay. Deep breath. So they attacked Napster. Someone was going to do it. Sorry it was them. That has nothing to do with their talent as musicians, so let it go.

Why do I feel the need to share all of these things? Tomorrow night I will be returning to the Schottenstien Center in Columbus Ohio, the very place where I witnessed the epic sound that is Metallica live, for the first time.

If you haven't seen them live, do it. As soon as possible. I have witnessed the band win over fans with my own eyes. The first time, it was my parents. I was 15 so I needed someone to drive me to Columbus and see them with me. My parents had always written them off as some Death Metal band who screams too much (they don't scream at all). After the show they were begging me to take them to see the Metallica documentary in theaters.

Winning over 2 fans in front of me was only the beginning. 3 years later I saw them at Bonnaroo, infamous for it's happy go lucky, indie, hippie crowd. Before unleashing their dark maniacal music over the 80,000 onlookers, Hetfield asked how many people had seen Metallica before. Only 1/3 of the crowd raised their hands. 150 minutes later 80,000 fists were in the air screaming, begging, "Obey Your Master".

I'm sorry you couldn't be there. The best I can do is take you there via a 4.5 inch screen...


However tomorrow night, I get to take someone with me. Someone who has already begun the process of being won over by the army that is Metallica's music. Amy. My girlfriend. One person I REALLY want to understand my obsession. So hopefully in 24 hours I'll have good news. Hopefully I'll see her face change from apathy to utter excitement, just as I saw happen to 80,000 bystanders at a field in Manchester Tennessee. Only time will tell.

No comments: