Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Break


While it's easy to get caught up in the fun and work involved in life at college, it's nice to go home every now and then. I've spent a total of two nights in my home bed since early August, and coming home for the first extended period in months has already been a relief. Life at school has been hectic with work and socializing and it's nice to have somewhere I can go to just unwind.

I am thrilled that the majority of my friends will also be coming home over the break, and while for the most part Thanksgiving break serves as just an appetizer for the much larger break on the horizon, it is the nature of the break that truly allows one to embrace the holiday. No matter what is going on in your life, there is something to be thankful for. Even if relationships are broken, family members have passed or otherwise, there are always other aspects of life which we most likely take for granted, and I feel fortunate enough that in this moment I am very thankful for where I am in my life.

Of course, Thanksgiving means family. This is my year to head down to Louisville to celebrate with my dad's side of the family, which is always quite an adventure. My family isn't so different from that of the Griswold's in the Vacation films, and honestly I'm thankful for that in and of itself. I know that I will be loved and entertained all at once, and I for one am looking forward to it.

While my family and friends may not be perfect like the Tanners, I am just happy to be unable to count on both hands the ones I care for in my life. I am honored to have the friends and family that I have, and I can't wait to see them.

No comments: