Monday, March 8, 2010

Puttin the "Hurt" on the Oscars

I made some good picks and I made some bad ones. Recapping the results of the Oscars, I still stand by what I believe should've won in many categories, while others were simply a result of having not seen the film (Crazy Heart- I'm sure Jeff Bridges deserved it). In all, I felt the Oscars was extremely well done. Creating the most successful film of all time speaks enough for Avatar, although I believe much of that goes to its directing, for which I think Cameron should've taken the statue rather than Bigelow. Hurt Locker was a good film, but not the best of the year. The problem is, its hard to pinpoint which should've beat it, between Basterds, Avatar and Up in the Air.

I am proud to say that I called Cristoph Waltz winning an Oscar 6 months ago immediately after watching INglourious Basterds on opening day. Me and everyone else who saw it. But still.

Most importantly for the night, for those who don't know me and who aren't aware of my massive crush for Sandra Bullock, it only grew tonight. I think Caret Mulligan deserved to win, but my heart was for Bullock. What was most impressive to me, however, was her speech. She is elegant, funny and delivered a message bigger than her or the movies she acts in.

In all it was a great Oscar night with countless deserving films. Hopefully the next 365 days offer us a new set of great films. Most likely not 10 worth nominating, but we can all hope, can't we?

No comments: