Saturday, June 20, 2009

Its sad really...

As I write this sentence I am embarrassed. Not at this single occasion but at what has become a ritual. I can't sit at my computer for less than 10 minutes. I get on to check email, then realize I have to check Twitter, then Facebook, then the blog. What's more is that this isn't a once a day thing, or even a twice a day thing. If I'm not doing it from my laptop, I'm doing it from my phone. I'd say on average, i check these ridiculous mediums once for every other hour I'm awake. It saddens me, yet at the same time I have no will to stop. I, like the majority of my generation, have an insatiable need to feel connected to everything. I don't want to miss a single thing, particularly tweets from celebrities informing me what they had for lunch.

We have so much technology at our hands. I'm not suggesting that we are wasting it. Every generation has had its form of entertainment. I'm simply suggesting that it is a very thin line. One I need to be very careful not to cross. For now, I have great respect for the access to information the internet allows me to have, and so long as I keep that perspective, I don't feel too guilty reading a tweet about what kind of couch Julie Benz wants to buy for her new house.

1 comment:

calencoriel said...

I don't know what the line is either...sometimes I make myself have computer free days, but I can still check the gmail with my phone and get a pic of Kate shaking hands with Johnny Depp. I have a blast with my phone and even though I haven't succumbed to Twitter yet, I still spend WAY too much time reading stupid blogs every morning...

instead of updating my own, of course...