Monday, June 8, 2009

Lose Yourself in F*ck

You read the title, so if the word offends you, go ahead and stop reading this post. Its gonna be in here quite a bit.

Its going to be in here quite a bit because I have decided it is finally time to acknowledge the greatness of the word.

Earlier this week, Amy and I were discussing the word 'fuck' and why we should or should not use the word. What has made the word so taboo. This past semester I took a course in linguistics that discussed how at one time or another MILLIONS of words in the English language were taboo and over time it slowly faded. I believe 'fuck' will be one of those words. It isn't slang, and it is versatile as fuck. See. Now I know I am not some pioneer to protect the word fuck and its versatility. In fact, the conversation with Amy promptly reminded me of a youtube video I had seen a couple of years ago. I posted it because it simply sums up a great deal of info I completely agree with and will save me the time of typing it. So please enjoy and I'll meet you in 3 and half inches.




So as the video said, fuck can take just about any part of speech. Its incredible. But that wasn't our main debate. IS IT OFFENSIVE. Well, in my opinion, just about anything can be offensive to someone. You just have to be responisble who you use it around. Pay attention. But I don't understand why it needs to be offensive. I suppose it stems from the fact that the MAIN meaning of the word is centralized around sexual intercourse, which is taboo to many Americans (whole 'nother topic) but that in itself is ridiculous.

It is probably one of the most used words in our language today. I know, you think I am exaggerating. But before I began typing this post 2 minutes ago, I typed 'fuck' into the search bar on twitter. Since then, in 120 seconds, Twitter now reports there have been 463 new posts containing the word.

The only thing I think is truly condemning about the word fuck, is the fact that it leads to a lack of verbal creativity. One word is so useful that it can become the default word for the less articulate.

But for those who are willing to use it responisble and relatively sparingly (I try, but its just so fucking great) lose yourself in fuck

Need more evidence of it's versatility? Allow the Saints to show you how...


"Certainly illustrates the diversity of the word"

No comments: