Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who said a post has to be about something?

I've come to the realization that I need to write more. Not literally write posts more frequently, but rather put more of me into them. Yeah, its cool to compile current events and web gems and share them with readers, but what's the point of simply regurgitating information? I want to inject a little more "me" whenever possible. I want the injection of "me" into writing to be my career, so if that isn't reason enough I'm not sure what is.

So I'd like to start using this forum to keep my skills sharp. Not that I'm suggesting my writing is or ever has been sharp, but I guess I'm just saying I don't want it to worsen.

I envy writers who have such a strong voice that their audience can blindly read a sentence of their work and instantly know who the author was. Chuck Klosterman's Twitter is the perfect example. I was reading it earlier this week and the post simply said: "Kobe is like Yngwie Malmsteen; yeah he's good but I don't have to like him." For one, it mentions both music and basketball; two things of which Klosterman is known to be a fan. Secondly, the analogy and humor is so characteristically him. Sure, if you were simply handed a note with that phrase on it, you may not be 100% sure who the author may have been, but if you are at all familiar with him or his work it'd be hard not to notice the similarities. I digress.

This feels good; theraputic almost. I don't have any deep thoughts to share, or experiences to mention, or YouTube clips of post-anesthetized 5 year olds to introduce. Maybe its just the cacophony of keystrokes or the simple fact I'm writing that has me so relaxed right now. This post is trivial, but its working. This is what I have been missing.

1 comment:

PHSChemGuy said...

You wouldn't expect a baseball player to stay sharp if he didn't swing the bat from time to time.

Writing's the same way.